By Hannah Comeaux, M.A, LPC, LMFT
The holidays are here. The best gift you can give your spouse this holiday season is a better relationship! Here are some suggestions to help you find happiness during this busy time of year.
- Stop comparing. Holiday movies, TV shows, and social media posts often present an unrealistic view of marriage. They can make you feel like your relationship isn’t good enough and your spouse isn’t measuring up.
- Prioritize. Schedule time for you and your spouse to stay connected. It’s easy to overload with events, parties and satisfying those “to-do” lists but it’s also a beautiful season for a lovely ride to see the lights or a walk downtown or in the park.
- Effectively communicate! Focus on being present with your partner. Eliminate distractions and “unplug” from technology. Actively listen and do routine check-ins to ensure that what you said was accurately received.
- Choose joy and gratitude this holiday season. In the midst of the hustle and bustle, take time to notice the positives in your life and in your relationship. Make a list of what each of you appreciate about the other and read it out loud to one another.
- Forgive. A new year is just around the corner – a great time for new beginnings! Let go of the past and dream about your future together. Don’t waste time with the same old arguments. Agreeing to disagree is sometimes the best way to make room for new goals in the next season of your lives together!
Hannah Comeaux is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Marriage and Family Therapist. Her passion is working with couples and families to restore and cultivate more meaningful relationships.