Ending the Drought
By Brandon Comeaux
For the McNeese Cowboys baseball team, it’s been a while since they’ve gotten a taste of the NCAA Tournament.
16 years, to be exact.
The drought ended this season when the Cowboys made it to the Nashville Regional after winning the Southland Conference Tournament for the first time since 2003. It was an impressive run that included victories over two teams – Incarnate Word and Central Arkansas – that claimed series victories over the Cowboys during the regular season. The Cowboys got hot at the right time, playing their best baseball when it mattered the most – down the final stretch of the regular season and in the SLC Tournament. The season ended with two heartbreaking losses – Indiana State and Ohio State – in the Nashville Regional. But McNeese showed it belonged, making the higher-seeded Sycamores and Buckeyes earn their hard-fought victories over the Cowboys.
Post Season Honors
Several McNeese baseball players were honored after the 2019 season
- Central All-Region First Team | Second Baseman Nate Fisbeck
- Southland Conference All-Academic First Team | Pitcher Bryan King (4.00 GPA, Major Natural Resource Conservation Mgmt.)
- Freshman All-America Second Team | Pitcher Will Dion
- Academic All-America Second Team | Pitcher Bryan King (4.00 GPA, Major Natural Resource Conservation Mgmt.)
- Nashville Regional All-Tournament Team | Outfielder Payton Harden, Outfielder Shane Selman
Going to the Big Leagues
Four Cowboys heard their names called in the Major League Baseball Draft
- Outfielder Shane Selman (Oakland Athletics)
- Third Baseman Carson Maxwell (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Pitcher Cayne Ueckert (Chicago Cubs)
- Pitcher Bryan King (Chicago Cubs)