Acadiana Center for the Arts, Basin Arts and Upstage Live
join forces for Acadiana Dance Month
Month-long celebration increases awareness for art of dance
LAFAYETTE — Dance has been an integral part of human rituals, celebrations, artistic expression and entertainment since the beginning of time. In Louisiana, the fabric of dance is woven with many layers across cultures, styles, musical inspirations and regions.
Acadiana Center for the Arts, Basin Arts and Upstage are excited to join forces for Acadiana Dance Month during the month of March 2018. We are pleased to have the support of an LCVC Enterprise Grant through UpStage and additional support from Lafayette Economic Development Authority (LEDA).
This month-long celebration aims to increase awareness and advocacy for the art of dance in our Acadiana Region. With nearly 100 local dance schools, cultural groups, professional companies, student organizations, a university program and dance service providers, Acadiana is a region rich with culture and people with a love for dance.
“We aim to increase visibility throughout the month of March with group gatherings, performances and social media campaigns with a goal of creating a stronger more connected dance community to enhance the cultural economy of Acadiana,” said Clare Cook, founder of Basin Arts — choreographer, teacher and collaborator.
Some of the special dance events during the month of March include:
- 5:30 p.m. March 6 at City Hall – Acadiana Dance Month Proclamation announced at Lafayette Parish City Council Meeting.
- 5 to 7 p.m. March 10 at ACA – Acadiana Dance Month Community Kickoff event at ACA
- 7:30 p.m. March 10 at ACA — Dance Heginbotham, a New York-based contemporary dance company committed to supporting, producing, and sustaining the work of choreographer John Heginbotham. With an emphasis on collaboration, DH enriches national and international communities with its unique blend of inventive, thoughtful, and rigorous dance theater works.
- 7 p.m. March 16 at the Heymann Performing Arts Center – Basin Dance Collective performance of PARADE presented by the Acadiana Symphony Orchestra.
- 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. March 24 at the Heymann Performing Arts Center – Lafayette Ballet Theatre produces Snow White
- March 31 – Closing Day Dance Party for All Ages at Basin Arts, 10:00-noon FREE
About Basin Arts:
Basin Arts is a container for creativity; an arts center that supports and implements cross-disciplinary collaboration, allowing Lafayette’s creative class to come together, share, experiment, and focus on process over product. Basin Arts creates opportunities for artistic expression across generations through dance classes, art classes, visual arts residencies, gallery programming and special events; all aimed at enhancing the artistic identity of our community.
About Basin Dance Collective:
Basin Dance Collective is the resident contemporary dance company at Basin Arts led by Artistic Director, Clare Cook. Basin Dance Collective is an ensemble of high-caliber dancers, choreographers, and collaborators developing original dances reflective of the talent and vibrancy of South Louisiana as well as the professional standards of the greater dance industry. Also, Basin Dance Collective works to share the life-giving power of movement and dance to people of all ages, abilities and interests through workshops and outreach classes.